Monday, April 11, 2011

In which we get started

So, I'm learning about building robots. I've watched and helped with my oldest sons robotics team as he's competed in the FIRST Robotics Competition. I'm helping and leading my youngest sons robotics team in the FIRST Lego League. Now, I'm starting my own robot project, with the help of friends.
My plan is to build as fully functional replica of an R2-D2 Astromech droid as I possibly can.
I have a series of must haves and a set of nice to haves.
First, the must haves:
  • Remotely drivable
  • Head spins 360 degrees at least once
  • Periscope goes up and down on command
  • Data port extends out and in on command
  • All lights work and flash
  • R2 whistles
Nice to haves:
  • Legs fold forward to put R2 in an upright position
  • Head spins without limit
  • Periscope has a functioning camera and microphone (ip camera)
  • Data port spins and is possibly functional (not sure what kind of function...electrocution?)
  • R2 responds to commands both with whistles and moves (head spins and possibly movement)
  • Holoprojector actually projects (that's a bit crazy, but is possible...minus the holo)
So far, I've decided to go with a wood frame and a laser cut styrene dome.
I've not found a step by step tutorial that tells me everything I think I need to know...however, I've found a boatload of partials and other types of tutorials that I'm going to follow, with a heavy dose of my own ideas, as well as input from others who are going to help (Alex, I'm looking at you!). However, one nice pictorial that I'm loosely basing my build on is found here.
This week, I'm starting the prep work by getting my garage in order and building a vacuum form machine loosely based on this tutorial. The vacuum forming is for wooden parts that need to be replicated several times. I'm not much for wood working, so I figure I'll build one to my liking, and vacuum form it the number of times I need too. This is mostly for cosmetic parts of the robot.
My goal with this blog is to have a fully functional tutorial that someone else can follow and build on their own...we'll see about that.
Pictures of the garage work area and vacuum form machine to follow later this week.

1 comment:

  1. Here, we'll need this: http://mightyohm.com/files/soldercomic/FullSolderComic_20110409.pdf

    ReplyDelete